Working with sound on a daily basis can not only center you more in the now and give you peace and relaxation – it can also give you inspiration, provide more clarity, or connect you more closely with your environment and fellow human beings.
The gong is one of the most powerful tools you can use every day to enter a meditative state and expand your senses. If you regularly tune into the vibrations of a gong, you will find it easier to free yourself from stuck thought patterns and maintain your inner balance.
Morning meditation with gong
In the morning, shortly after getting up, your mind is usually still at its quietest and you may find it easier to engage in a morning gong meditation for a few minutes.
Instructions for a morning meditation with gong (5-10 minutes)
- Find a quiet place and place your gong next to you.
- Sit in a comfortable position and close your eyes for a few breaths.
- Feel the abdomen and chest expand with the inhale and empty completely with the exhale.
- Once you have created awareness of your breath, you can bring your arms over your sides to above your head with the inhalation and bring both hands in front of your heart in Namaste with the exhalation. Continue this for three to four breaths.
- Now take your gong mallet in one hand and strike your gong mindfully.
Feel how the vibrations flow through your body and mind and notice where you perceive the sounds most intensely today. Let the sound fade away completely.
- Now choose a focus for today. It can be a whole sentence or just one word. Repeat the phrase or word out loud or silently to yourself a few times.
- Strike the gong again and repeat your focus today. Let it pass into your body and mind with the vibrations. Repeat this three to four times.
- Let the gong fade out and sit in silence for a few more breaths. When you are ready, open your eyes and start your day.
This little ritual can help you find focus, align yourself, and build positive energy for the day. It can also help you respond more calmly to challenges big and small and boost your self-esteem.
If you have trouble quieting your mind, a sound meditation with gong can help you let go of your thoughts and focus on the here and now.
Daily gong ritual for better sleep
A sound ritual is ideal for gently guiding you into a different activity or state of mind. Especially during transitions – like the transition from day to night, from being awake to being asleep – the use of sound can help prepare for and engage with the change ahead. In addition, the vibrations of the gong can also help activate your subconscious, leading to deeper insights and realizations while you sleep or the next morning.
Sleep is the time when our body rests and heals. There is hardly a better way to tell the body that it is time to come to rest than with the sound of a gong.
Instructions for an evening ritual with gong (5-10 minutes)
- Find a quiet place where you feel comfortable and where you won’t be disturbed.
- Sit comfortably and take a few deep breaths in and out to relax your body and let go of the thoughts of the day.
- Start playing the gong and concentrate on the vibrations and sounds. Especially in the evening you should play the gong especially gently to find rest and relaxation more easily.
- Let the sounds fill the room and feel them move through your body.
- Visualize your body and mind relaxing and preparing for the sleep ahead. You can do this by moving your attention very slowly, bit by bit, from your feet to the crown of your head.
- Dedicate a few breaths to each part of the body and consciously absorb the sounds in that part.
- Strike the gong again each time the notes fade away.
- Once you have reached the crown of your head, play the gong one last time.
- Finish the ritual by breathing in and out deeply and opening your eyes slowly.
After the ritual, you can go straight to sleep or write thoughts that are still present now in a small notebook.
As you can see, sound is easy and can be incorporated into everyday life. Small rituals with your gong allow you to more easily find your way into meditation and relax. The gong is a very powerful tool that can be used in daily practice to achieve a meditative state and expand the senses. Especially for morning and evening meditation, the gong is very suitable to calm the mind and prepare for the day or the upcoming sleep. Such a ritual can help find focus, respond more calmly to challenges, and strengthen self-esteem. Those who have difficulty quieting the mind can benefit from a sound meditation with the gong to let go of thoughts and focus on the here and now.